How Linkin Park gave me strength



Like millions of others I saw deeply shocked and saddened by the recent death of Chester Bennington from Linkin Park.  I must admit I was late to the party, but when I had a particularly bad phase of depression in 2012 I found Linkin Park's music.  Unlike anything I have heard from any other band I found their lyrics spoke directly to me, it felt they were expressing exactly what I was feeling.

If I were to pick the song which most resonated with me it would be Iridescent from A Thousand Suns.  I even ended up getting the lyrics tattooed on my arm:


I was luck enough to see Linkin Park live twice.  In 2014 I caught them at Download Festival performing Hybrid Theory in full.  This remains my all time favourite concert.



I got to see them again this month at Birmingham Arena, which would end up being their final concert with Chester.  Again a brilliant performance which I'm glad I made the effort to get to after the date I booked for in Manchester was cancelled due to the aftermath of the attack on Manchester Arena.  This was probably the highlight performing the very moving and relevant One More Light.


Their latest album One More Light came out a few months ago, and was derided by a lot of the rock press and some fans.  But for me it was yet another brilliant album.  Yes, it was more poppy, but the lyrics were distinctly still in their unique style, however listening to the album this morning a lot of the songs seem even more poignant, and so much more relevant now we realise what Chester was probably struggling with.

Rest in peace Chester, your music will live forever.  Your music has helped millions and will continue to do so.


If you are struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts please speak to your GP, friends or family.  Below are some of the organisations which can help.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My top 10 albums of 2016

My top 10 albums of 2017 and the year in music

Week 6 - Going well